Friday, September 12, 2008

Parent Connections

Recently I had the pleasure of speaking of speaking with the mother of one of my students. She called me at 7:45 on Thursday morning at school to ask me about his homework. She needed help getting through it and I was happy to help. I thought that it was great that she was sitting down with her son to help him with his math work.

Later that day, after school, I was called down to the office again for a phone call. It was the same student's mother again. She was asking about a different homework assignment, this one for grammar. The directions specifically point out to "combine the two sentences into one sentence with a compound subject." She had no clue how to do it. I walked her through the steps necessary to write the sentences for the assignment and told her I was happy to help.

I think it's going to be a long year.

1 comment:

Kali said...

Wow.

Though, on the bright side, the parent is making an effort, and is talking to you. When I was student teaching, teachers weren't really allowed to contact parents. There was a language barrier, but all communication was done through the Thai staff at the school. Drove me CRAZY.

It will get better!