Monday, September 8, 2008

It's Coming!


Yesterday I got the urge to do some physical activity. Crazy, huh? Jennifer and I went for a walk at around 11:00 a.m. As we stepped outside, I noticed the smell. You know the smell when you're outside and it's just about to snow. That dry, winter smell. Not only did I notice the smell, but for the first time I could see my breath in the middle of the day.

We've also lost about 2 hours of daylight in the last 2 weeks. I arrived in my classroom at 6:20 this morning and positioned myself in front of the window to try to see when the sun would rise. It's now 9:00 a.m. and it's still a little dusky out. Also, it gets really dark finally. When I arrived in the village we had nearly 23 hours of straight daylight. Now it gets dark by 11:00 p.m.

This darkness doesn't stop the children though. Parents bundle up their kids and shove them outside to play all day long. At 10:00 last night they were still running around. Some were even fashioning ladders out of pieces of metal they had found to try to peak into one of the male teachers apartments. My roommate had to lean out her window and yell at them twice before they got the hint. Best part of it all, they were all my students. The little darlings.

Beyond the darkness, there's no real other news from the tundra. This weekend was quite relaxing despite the fact that we couldn't contact the outside world for four days due to our internet being down. Thanks to that, I spent the weekend curled up in my chair, reading, cross-stitching, and watching the entire sixth season of Gilmore Girls. I feel like that's how I'm going to spend most of my weekends from now on.

No comments: