Thursday, August 21, 2008

Polar Bear in the Village

On Tuesday, I came to school for inservice and everyone was in a buzz. Apparently there was a polar bear meandering through the village. Here's the thing about polar bears, they are ridiculously dangerous. Even though this beautiful, majestic creature was walking amongst us, I knew that if it was in the village, it would soon be dead. Everyone gave us warnings about the bears right when we got here, but it's kind of like they don't really exist until you actually see one. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see it, or maybe that should be fortunately...

That evening the community held a potluck, complete with maktak, grayling fish, caribou (tuttu), anf the main dish, roast polar bear. It is a little like eating fish flavored beef. Very strange, but not bad.

Wednesday was the first day of school. Wednesday night was the first night I cried since leaving home. I couldn't believe it. I expected the kids to be a little disrespectful and rowdy, but wow, was I ever underestimating them. I planned a whole bunch of fun activities that I thought were pretty neat. Obviously, the kids didn't agree. Even though I'm down to only six students, they have to be the toughest six to deal with in the whole school. I don't think I've ever been so exhausted in my life.

Today, things got a little better. Instead of doing anymore fun activities, I pushed the kids right into work and even sent home homework. I definitely had more of a handle on things and I can tell things will be looking up from here. At least I hope so.

No comments: