Tuesday, February 17, 2009

You can't control the weather


Today marks another day of school being called off. We last had students on the 10th. Understandable as to why we don't have them coming in though. I felt like a sailboat walking to school today. All I had to do was slightly pick up my feet and I was blown all the way to school, although turning was another task. We have winds of 40 mph and you can't see anything in the distance, not even buildings that really aren't that far away. Here are some pictures that I took this morning. You can see all the blowing snow. Hopefully, things will get back to normal soon. We're only allowed 10 weather days before we start having to make them up. We've used 5 so far and I already have my ticket home. The weather needs to get better soon.

2 comments:

Emily_McLaughlin said...

I am planning on teaching in the bush as well. Your blog is very insightful and has made me realize that I'm not crazy and this is what I want to do!

I student teach next semester and after that I will be applying hopefully to the North Slope School District (As well as a couple other districts).

Do you have any advice for me?

Lindsay said...

I think the most important thing to remember when you're up here is to be completely open minded. Try as hard as you can to learn the language and bond with the kids. Making that little extra connection to them makes all the difference.

Good luck with everything! I hope you do come up this way. It is seriously a life-changing experience.